Does your baby cry inconsolably և often, եք have you noticed that he / she is very anxious? Can’t you see the special reason why it often happens in the evening and at night? The cause may be colic. These crying charms usually reach their peak when the baby is about six weeks old and decrease significantly after the age of three to four months. Colic is a combination of confusing behaviors. And about one-fifth of all newborns experience this. Doctors usually diagnose colic in children based on the “three rules” Dr. Yogesh Kumar Gupta, Head of Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, Fortis Hospitals, Bannerghatta Road, Bengaluru. Rule three means that colic lasts at least three hours a day, occurs at least three days a week, and continues for at least three weeks in a row. Pediatric colic is a diagnosis of exclusion. He gives an idea of the disease.
Causes of colic
Doctors are not sure what causes colic. Some contributing factors may include:
- Too much food or malnutrition
- Poor feeding technique
- Increased serotonin secretion
- Sensitivity to formula or breast milk
- Early childhood headaches
- Fear is a reaction to fear, frustration, or excitement
- Pain or discomfort from acid reflux, gas, or indigestion
- Digestive system that is not fully developed. An imbalance of healthy bacteria in the digestive system
- Food allergy (baby is exposed to allergens in breast milk or formula) or under the influence of tobacco smoke
Symptoms to look out for
It is natural to worry about the development of the child, to be surprised at the difference between colic and ordinary crying. If you suspect that you have a baby in the womb, pay attention to the following possible signs:
- Redness of the face when crying
- Squeezing your fists while crying or twisting your legs
- Intense crying, as if they are in pain for no apparent reason
- Resistance to environmental stimuli
- Predictable dates. Children with colic often start to worry at the end of the day
Ways to calm the child
Some may work better than others, and some may not. To try a few things.
- Do not panic. Newborns may experience panic են tend to cry longer for longer. So be calm.
- Try distraction techniques, such as taking your child by car or for a walk, in most cases working well or playing soothing sounds.
- Giving the baby a warm bath.
- Provide extra skin և skin contact.
- Walking or rocking with a baby.
- Light extinguishing այլ Restriction of other visual stimuli.
- Provide white noise, such as a fan, vacuum cleaner, washing machine, hair dryer or dishwasher.
- Medicines like Simethicone / Herbal Remedies have no proven benefit compared to placebo.
- Treatment options for breastfed infants include the probiotic Lactobacillus reuteri (strain DSM 17938) նվազ reduced maternal food allergen intake.
- Switching to hydrolyzed formula is an option for formula-fed infants. Evidence does not support chiropractic or osteopathic manipulations, infant massage, dipping, acupuncture, or herbal supplements.
Seek medical advice if…
- If you see that the baby is crying more than usual or that his behavior suddenly changes
- Your baby’s lips or skin are crying bluish
- The baby cries regularly with fever, vomiting, loose or bloody stools, or a palpable mass in the abdomen.
How can parents cope with colic?
Caring for a child with colic can be tiring and stressful, even for experienced parents. Some tips to help you take care of yourself և get the support you need.
- Avoid panicking as colic is a self-limiting problem for newborns.
- Pause. Use the crib for short breaks.
- Express your feelings. Ask for help.
- Do not judge yourself, do not feel guilty.
- Take care of your health.
- Remember, this is temporary.
- Look for local mother groups or online forums.
Read also: Can your child not have vaccines during an epidemic?